Mujaddara is an incredibly easy and fast to make meal. The Middle-eastern spices give it such a nice exotic flavor, that embrace the simplicity of this dish.
It is very tasty and goes perfectly with a squeeze of lemon and sour cream. Even as a side dish next to a piece of pork cooked for 2 min on very high fire.
Here’s how to make this incredibly cheap meal
Servings: 6 (0.45 eur/portion)
Cooking time: 35 min
- 3 red onions (0.5 eur)
- 1 cup of brown lentils (0.5 eur)
- 1 cup of rice (0.2 eur)
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tsp of powder cumin
- 2 laurel leaves
- 1 tbsp of frying oil
To serve with:
- caramelized onion
- lemon (0.5 eur)
- sour cream (1 eur)
- Start sauteing one red onion in a bit of oil until it gets soft.
- Add the washed lentils.
- Add 3-4 cups of water and season with salt. Bring it to a boil and cover it with a lid. Cook it on small-medium fire for 15 min.
- Add the cumin, cinnamon and laurel leaves.
- Add the washed rice and cook it for as long the rice indicates on the package with the lid on.
- And magic! It is ready to be served. You can caramelize your own onion, I had it store-bought. Sprinkle parsley and lemon juice and serve it next to a big blob of sour cream. Or even as a side dish for meat!
If you would like to check out more of my international cuisine tries, you can check the recipes here.