The chicken satay is a dish coming from the Indonesian region and it is usually grilled chicken. Since I don’t have a grill I decided to try it in the wok and transform what they usually use as a dip into a marinade. The most important ingredients for this recipe are the soy sauce, coconut cream and peanut butter. For boosting the umami taste I add a few drops of fish sauce. It is a tender and very flavorful recipe, good to be served next to noodles, rice or even in a pita with some extra peanut butter sauce.
Marinating time: 30 min
Cooking time: 20 min
- 500 g of chicken
- 2 tbsp of peanut butter
- 3 tbsp of soy sauce
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 tbsp max. of fish sauce
- 5 tbsp of coconut milk
- few pinches of salt
- oil for frying
- sesame seeds (optional)
- sriracha sauce (optional)
- Cut the meat into small pieces and add to it the peanut butter, soy sauce, fish sauce, coconut milk, minced garlic and salt.
- Cover it and let it marinate in the fridge for 30 min.
- Heat a wok to high temperature. I used setting 7 out of 10.
- Fry the chicken in few drops of sunflower oil. Do not overcrowd the wok. It should last maximum 4 min on both sides, until it gets golden. Make sure you stay next to it, since it can burn on such a high heat.
- Prepare some noodles according to the instructions on the package. Sprinkle some soy sauce on them and maybe some saute cabbage and carrot. Add the chicken, a sprinkle of sesame seed and sriracha sauce and you are good to enjoy this really delicious and tender chicken.
It goes really well in a pita too: prepare some red cabbage with carrots, coriander and mint and use some yogurt or more peanut butter dressing. Delicious!
If you would like to have more recipes ideas, you can check all my recipes here.