Focaccia is a very flavorful bread, so full of flavors that I often feel like eating it by itself. It is a simple recipe, however not light, it contains quite a bit of olive oil, which makes it a bit expensive. However, it is a wonderful treat to have from time to time.
I used a recipe from Gordon Ramsay.
Preparation time: 15 min
Proofing time: 1.5 hours
Baking time: 30 min
- 500 g of bread flour
- 20 g of semolina
- 1 cup of water (~200 ml)
- 50 ml of olive oil
- 10 g of dry yeast
- 1 tsp of salt
- tomatoes, olives, rosemary for topping
- In a big bowl combine the flour, semolina, salt and yeast.
- Add the olive oil in the lukewarm water.
- Combine the water with oil with the flour mixture.
- Knead for 6-8 min.
- Cover it with a bit of oil, plastic wrap and let it proof until it doubles in size.
- On a tray sprinkle some olive oil and big salt.
- Place the focaccia on it and shape it with your hands. Poke holes in it with your fingers and place in those pockets your desired toppings.
- Sprinkle on it olive oil, big salt and pepper.
- Bake it at 200 C for 30-35 min.
- Serve it hot or cold or even freeze it for later.