Pommes duchesse are a French specialty dish – or how to make the simple potatoes fancy. They are very pretty on any plate and taste pretty good. It is definitely more labor intensive than just mashed potatoes, but they can be served for some special dinners and are cheap to make.
Servings: 2 full trays
Baking time: 20 min
- 10-12 medium potatoes
- 3 tbsp of butter
- 3 egg yolks
- Boil the potatoes until they can be poked through with a fork.
- Mash them with the special tool.
- Add on it the melted butter, egg yolks, nutmeg and salt to taste and mix well.
- Add some of the mixture into a strong piping bag and use a big star nozzle. You really need a strong bag for this mixture, I tried some normal ones and they explode before managing to pour out the content. So save yourself some time and use the proper tools.
- Shape them as big as you want them and bake them at 200 C for 20 min, until they get golden. I had to do it in 2 rounds.
- They are great next to any type of meat, were really delicious next to my pork and beef ragu, but can be served next to almost anything.