The peppers filled with minced meat (ardei umpluti) is a great and savory recipe that is even relatively easy to make. I always associate it with summer and a light food, despite the meat being a bit heavy, but it is for sure a super flavorful dish.
Peppers filled with minced meat (0.84 eur/portion)
Cooking time: 1 hour 15 min
Preparation time: 45 min
- 500 g of minced meat (beef with pork) (3 eur)
- 5 peppers (any color works) (2 eur)
- 1 can of diced tomatoes (1 eur)
- 1 onion (0.2 eur)
- 70 g of rice
- 1 tbsp of tomato paste
- sweet paprika
- 2 laurel leaves
- salt and pepper
- Cut the cover of the peppers carefully and scoop out all the seeds.
- Make sure they fit in the pot you want to use.
- Dice the onion and saute it until soft, then add the washed rice and cook it until all the water is evaporated.
- Mix the meat with the onion an rice then add all the rest of the ingredients: thyme, parsley, tomato paste, paprika, salt and pepper. Mix it well.
- Fill in the peppers with the meat mixture.
- Add the peppers in the pot, which contains already the can of tomatoes and laurel leaves.
- Cover the peppers with their top.
- Fill in the pot with extra water until it is 2/3 full.
- Bring to a boil then cook on small to medium fire for 1 hour or until the peppers are soft and the meat is cooked.
- Serve hot by itself or adding sour cream on top.