Sauerkraut is a great source of natural probiotics. In search of more recipes with sauerkraut, I created this soup that is a combination of the Czech Zelňačka and Romanian “ciorba de afumatura cu varza acra” (sour cabbage soup with smoked meat). It is so easy to make and so full of umami.
Cooking time: 50 min
- 500 g of sour cabbage
- 1 big onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1-2 potatoes
- smoked chicken breast
- 1 bay leaf
- pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 tsp of caraway seeds
- 2 tsp of paprika powder
- 1 tsp of black pepper
- oil for frying
- Saute the onion and garlic in a bit of oil until tender.
- Add the chopped smoked meat. Can be any type of smoked meat you find in your supermarket: chicken breast, pork or even sausage.
- Add the cubed potato together with the spices: bay leaf, pepper flakes, cumin seeds, paprika powder and black pepper.
- Wash a bit and strain the sauerkraut.
- Add it to the pot together with 4 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 45 min with a lid on.
- Let it cool for 10 min and it is ready to be served with sour cream.