Russian cuisine has a few classical favorite one. Color wise, selyodka pod shuboy (translated as herring under a fur coat… so Russian!) is my favorite. If you like fish, taste wise is pretty nice too! Besides, it is traditional to make this time of the year.
Here’s how to make it:
Selyodka pod shuboy
Preparation time: ~1.5 hours
- 2-3 slices of smoked herring (from a non-Russian perspective, any other fish would work for me)
- 4 potatoes
- 3 carots
- 1 shallot
- 2 beets
- 2 eggs
- 6-8 tsps of mayo (more, if you want more mayo)
- Boil the carrots, potatoes, beets and eggs. I buy the beets already boiled.
- Grate the carrots, beets and potatoes. Dice the egg and cut the shallot into round slices. The herring should be also cut into small cubes.
- Now place the layers:
- first goes the diced herring.
- add the shallots and then a layer of mayo
- now go the potatoes, add salt and a layer of mayo above
- carrots and mayo
- I add an nontraditional extra layer of potatoes and mayo
- add the beets and then… mayo
- last go the eggs
Let it rest min an hour in the fridge and it is ready to be served as is.