Butter chicken is one of the most smooth, velvety food I ever had. Also, one of my favorite ways to eat chicken.
It is classically not very spicy, but the good thing about making your own food is that you can make it as you wish. My inspiration for this dish was from Get curried.
Cooking time: 1 hour
For the chicken
- 500 g of hicken breast
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp Red chilli powder
- salt to taste
- oil for frying
For the gravy
- 500 g of roughly cut tomatoes
- 1 roughly of cut onions
- 1 tbsp of garlic paste
- 50 g of cashew
- 1/2 tsp of garam masala
- 2-3 tbsp of sugar
- 2 tbsp of kashmiri chili powder
- 5 tbsp of butter
- 5 tbsp of cream
- 1.5 tbsp of white vinegar
- salt to taste
- Cut the chicken in small bites and mix in the salt, chili powder, ginger and garlic paste and let it marinate for 20 min.
- Fry the chicken in a pan on high heat until it gets brown on both sides – make sure you are fast, it can burn pretty fast.
- In a big pan, add 2 tsps of butter and saute the onion until it is soft and golden.
- Add the roughly cut tomatoes. At this stage, add the cashew nuts and mix well.
- Cover with water and add the garlic paste, sugar, salt, vinegar,
- Bring it to boil and simmer for 15 min.
- Now move it to a different bowl and blend it until it gets very fine.
- Put it back to the pot through a strainer, to keep all the solids and have a very smooth paste remaining.
- Add the butter and cream, you can really put based on your taste.
- Add back the chicken in and simmer for extra 7 min.
- Serve with naan or rice, smooth and delicious.