There is nothing more satisfying in a country for me than the street food and in Romania one of my favorite ones is definitely the stuffed donuts (or gogosi umplute). There is something about street food and I don’t think it is its fast attribute, but more like a deeply local experience.
The stuffed donuts are very versatile, you can have them with chocolate, but also jam (the sour cherry one is my favorite) or even curd with egg and raisins.
My recipe is inspired (like many other, since she is really great) from Mihaela’s channel.
- 500 g of flour
- 35 g of sugar
- 6 g of salt
- 275 g of milk
- 2 eggs
- 25 g of sunflower oil
- 25 g of fresh yeast (or 10 g of dry yeast)
- rum essence (or any other you like)
- filling (I used chocolate cream and homemade quince jam)
- oil for frying
- Mix the flour with the salt and sugar.
- Combine the yeast with the lukewarm milk.
- The eggs should be combined with the oil and the essence you choose.
- Combine now the flour mixing with the egg and milky one and combine with a wooden spoon.
- Once combine, move to your table and knead the dough for 10-15 min until it gets elastic.
- Cover it with a plastic bag, and let it proof in a warm place until it almost triples in size, 1 to 1.5 hours.
- Split it into 6 equal parts. Mine were ~115 g each.
hape each part in a ball and cover under a plastic wrap.
- Roll each ball into a 15 cm diameter circle.
- Place the filling on the circle – not in the middle, but a bit lower like in the picture. I am using 25 g maximum of filling.
- In order to “glue” the donut, you need to brush it with a brush soaked in water and dried on a paper towel and brush it all around the edges. Make sure there is not too much water.
- Fold the donut and press down all around making sure it is glued.
- Place it on the baking paper and keep count on which donut you rolled first, so that you can bake it in the same order. After 10 min, turn it on the other side, so that the surface dries properly.
- Fry the donuts 3 minutes on each side at 170 C.
- Serve them hot or cold, with or without powder sugar and enjoy :).