Garbanzo beans with spinach (garbanzo con espinacas) is truly one of the most traditional dishes in Andalusia. Not a great looker, that is for sure, but it is a very nice tasting surprising and amazing buttery blend of tastes.
Besides that, a pretty healthy food.
Garbanzo beans with spinach (0.67 eur/portion)
Cooking time: 40 min
- 600-700 g of fresh spinach (2 eur)
- 1 can of chickpeas (400 g) (1.2 eur)
- 1 piece of bread
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 20 g of vinegar
- 2 tsps of sweet paprika
- 1/5 tsp of ground cumin
- olive oil for frying
- salt and pepper
- In a big pot with water and salt try to fit all your spinach. It has a lot of volume, but it will reduce just in a few min.
- Boil it slowly for 10-12 min.
- Pour it in a strainer and let it drain as much as possible. Reserve a cup of liquid.
- In a bit of olive oil fry the bread until it gets golden.
- Blend it together with the reserved liquid, garlic and vinegar.
- In a bit of olive oil put the drained spinach, drained and washed chickpeas and the blended bread mixture.
- Add now the sweet paprika, cumin, salt and pepper to taste and maybe a bit more liquid, if needed.
- Bring it to a boil, cover it with a lid and let it simmer for 25 min on small fire. Mix in 2-3 times during this time.
- It is ready to serve, creamy, healthy and delicious.