The best thing about having a bad experience at a random KFC is that you learn how to make KFC yourself at home.
Their recipe is secret it seems, but how nothing is secret and even the best technology leaks, I managed to find one or two sources that brought me really good results.
KFC chicken (1.3 eur/portion)
Resting time: 12 hours
Preparation time: 1 hour total
Difficulty: easy (but messy)
For the marinade
- 500 g chicken breast (better if a bit thicker) (3.5 eur)
- 300 ml of cold water
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 8 g of salt
- half a lemon (0.3 eur)
- 1 tsp of spicy paprika
For the coating
- 200 g of flour (0.3 eur)
- 8 g of baking powder (very important)
- 8 g of salt
- 1 tsp of paprika (or spicier blended pepper, if you have)
- 1 tsp of blended black pepper
- Cut the chicken in the desired shapes. It is better if you have it thicker than in my pictures.
- Place it in a big bowl and add the cold water, smashed garlic, squeezed lemon and the paprika.
- Let it marinate for 12 hours.
- Prepare the coating: mix the flours with salt, pepper, paprika (the spicier the better) and, super important for the chicken to get crunchy, the baking powder.
- The mixture should be in a container that you can close and seal (and vigorously shake).
- Place 3-4 pieces of the drained marinated chicken in the flour mixture.
- Close the container and shake for 10 sec.
- Take out the chicken and place it for 20 sec in very cold water.
- Place it back in the flour mixture and shake for another 10-15 seconds. It will have the scaly texture we want.
- Bring your frying oil to 160 C and start frying the chicken, without crowding the pan.
- It should take for about 10 min.
- Pat it with some kitchen towels and your KFC at home is ready to be served.
- You can eat it by itself with ketchup and mayonnaise. Or in a sandwich with mayo, pickles, the chicken, tomatoes, salad and pickled jalapenos.
- Or even better, make a twister: add some lemon and grind pepper in your mayo, spread it on a warm tortilla wrap, add your chicken, tomatoes and salad, an absolute delight.