Rice cakes are one of the best way to fuel before and during cycling. The most common way to prepare them is sweet and you can check out my recipe with apple and cinnamon here. But I have recently invented a salty version and having a burst of umami during cycling is awesome.
Salty rice cakes
Servings: 2 people
Cooking time: according to the instructions on the package
- 125 grams of risotto rice
- 240 g of water
- 150 g of coconut milk
- half a cube of chicken stock
- 4-5 mushrooms of your choice
- 2 slices of bacon/or 5-6 slices of chorizo
- a handful of grated parmezan
- fresh basil for topping
- Wash the rice really well.
- Bring the rice with the coconut milk and water to a boil, then turn it down to low (I use setting 3 out of 10) and simmer it until it gets soft (even in the middle). Usually the minutes recommended on the package are more or less correct. Don’t forget to add the chicken cube (I almost did in this recipe…).
- While the rice is boiling, cut the bacon/chorizo into small slices and fry it in a pan until it gets slightly brown.
- Add the mushrooms as well and cook until they are done.
- Once the rice is cooked, you can immediately add the bacon-mushrooms mix and the grated parmezan.
- Serve with fresh basil.
- You can also add the basil in the mixture, shape it into rectangles, wrap it in aluminum foil and enjoy it during your ride.