I won’t even pretend I know much about the Dutch cuisine. But I recently discovered stamppot: you basically mash anything with potatoes. I love kale, so when I heard you can add that in there too, it instantly caught my attention.
It is traditionally served with a smoked sausage and gravy. In this picture you will see fish, but you can replace the protein with anything you like (hopefully I won’t make too many Dutch people angry with this sentence).
One other combination I really liked is to replace the kale with cubed carrots.
- 800 g of potatoes
- 200 grams of chopped kale
- butter to taste
- milk for mashing
- salt and pepper
- This will be very easy: bring your potatoes to a boil.
- When they are starting to boil, add the kale and boil them together for 15-20 min.
- Take out all the remaining water using the lid of your pot or a plate.
- Mash roughly with a fork, while adding butter, milk, salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve it hot next to a sausage, fish, chicken or any type of protein you like.